Septupdate, 12 days after surgery

To say that my recovery from the surgery didn’t go quite to plan is an understatement. As in, when you’ve had an endoscopic investigation of your nasal cavities, some rearrangement of the same, including bone removal – the last thing you need is to catch a cold.

[If you’re of a delicate nature, maybe not read this next paragraph.]

I have to wash my sinuses four times a day, initially this was to help with removing the soluble packing put up there, but also to flush out the gunk. Blood and scabs from the surgery sites, mucus from the linings being aggravated. Saturday after the surgery Dan took me to the GP as I was feeling so nauseous with all the stuff going down the back of my throat, we talked through all my meds, put a plan together to manage my sickness. I went back to work on Monday last week as planned, albeit on reduced hours. Then on the Tuesday afternoon / evening, a week after surgery, the mucus started to get cloudy, and I started to go hot and cold.

I woke up in the wee hours on Wednesday morning feeling awful. In the middle of the night, I made an appointment with the GP for lunchtime, thinking I could work in the morning, talk to the GP over the phone, collect a prescription and carry on.

Yeah right.

I got out of bed and told Dan to take the car to catch his train to work (let’s just ignore that this was while an outbreak was beginning to gain momentum from the original cluster). Messaged BossLady and apologised, but I wasn’t going to be online this morning, told her I’d update her after my GP appointment.

Packed Arch off for him to walk to school, and went back to bed. The GP called me, I talked him through what was happening, then Manny came over to take me to the doctors to collect my prescription.

I was signed off for a week of rest and liquids. I’m on probably the strongest antibiotics I’ve ever been on. Although, on the plus side, they’re counteracting the oxycodone side effects *cough* that I’m still taking for the injury to my ribs, which even now (six weeks later from when I fell over), hurts more than my head does.

In the interim, we’re into a seven-day lockdown across Melbourne. I go back to work the day before lockdown ends and we’re all keeping our fingers crossed we can get a handle on it, again. People are panic-buying toilet paper, again.

I officially slept on one pillow last night and can now breathe through both nostrils. I’m still getting heaps of gunk out my nose, but the little patches of swelling around my eyes have mostly gone. One last hiccup today, I had what I thought was a hair tickling me in my left nostril, but actually pulled out a stitch. Which was as eye-watering as you can imagine.

So there you go, if I’d not caught a cold, I’d be back at work, but you know me – never knowingly taking the easy route…

What do you think..?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s